Self Catering Chalets
African Game Lodge offers a very affordable nature reserve break. Our chalets can be rented on a self-catering basis. Each Chalet is fitted with a kitchen including fridge and freezer, so preparing meals and enjoying them from your verandah adds to the relaxing experience at African Game Lodge.
At night you can braai on your verandah or when available, join us for a traditional "Bring and Braai" where you bring your own food and braai it on a communal braai at the lodge.
We also offer packed lunches if you are going hiking for the day, and Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner at the lodge should you wish to take advantage of these services on an adhoc basis during your stay. These do need to be booked beforehand. Our meals are based on South African favourites. We serve a 2-course breakfast, 2-course lunch and 3-course dinner.
Guest who stay at African Game Lodge love the individual thatched karoo-style chalets which have been designed to provide comfort and the opportunity to enjoy the spaciousness of the karoo landscape. The traditional chalets look out onto a vast plain. You may even have one of the friendly ostriches come round the corner, and if you lucky, a resident aardvark may come investigating during the evening.
We have chalets which accommodate four guests and one chalet designed for couples who would like a quiet breakaway. Our chalets have the following features:
- Quaint thatched chalets in traditional karoo style architecture
- Stunning views of the reserve
- A comfortable Lounge with a fireplace for those cosy winter evenings.
- The kitchen is equipped with basic amenities for self-catering purposes and includes a fridge/freezer, 4 x gas plate stove, crockery, cutlery
- Each chalet has its own undercover braai facilities on the spacious verandah. A braai grid and braai tongs are provided.
- Two well-appointed romantic bedrooms (one with a double bed and the other with two ¾ beds) with mosquito nets
- Modern bathroom with bath and shower facilities with guest amenities provided.
- A large covered porch designed to overlook the vast landscapes and passing wildlife, and has outdoor furniture for your outside relaxation.
We are very environmentally conscious and encourage our guests to join us in our quest to tread lightly on the earth. Each chalet is equipped with recycle bins and we encourage you to set aside your biodegradable kitchen waste for our earthworm farm. The chalets operate on 12-volt solar power and cannot take conventional electrical appliances. Laptops and iPads can be recharged in the main lodge which has 220V power. 12 Volt Hairdryers can be provided on request. (But after a few days at African Game Lodge, most guests forget about those things and just enjoy the nature). Some of the chalets have plug-in internet connections. Should you wish to avail yourself of this service, please let us know so that we can allocate your chalet appropriately. The communal lodge has Wi-Fi internet services.
There is no cell-phone signal at the lodge but there are high sites where signal can be obtained.
So, whether you're indoors or out, the experience will be unforgettable. You will feel rejuvenated, relaxed and at peace... just the kind of effect African Game Lodge has on all who visit.
We have a communal area where you will be able to relax and, if so inclined, socialise with other guests or watch some television. (For our South Africans, yes we do switch to rugby on Saturday afternoons when the big games are on.) When it gets a touch on the hot side, take a dip in our swimming pool whilst looking out onto the mountain range. Bar facilities at the lodge are available. Our communal facilities include the following :
- Guest Lounge for relaxing, reading and watching television
- Library of reference books for you to read during your stay
- Satellite Television on Premium bouquet
- Honesty Bar Facilities
- Swimming Pool
- Communal Braai Facilities
- Fire-pit for socialising
Where to stay and What to do :
African Game Lodge is a private nature reserve outside Montagu in South Africa. We offer affordable accommodation on a self-catering, B&B or Full Board basis , and outdoor nature activities such as game viewing, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, biking, trail running and birding. As an added attraction, we have a cheetah awareness program and many species of game and wildlife on our game reserve. We are situated along Route 62 in the Cape Winelands, Western Cape.